[NAFEX] New Experience: Frost!

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 13 15:27:07 EST 2007

I was wondering if the folks from areas that regularly have to worry
about protecting their fruit trees/plants could help me with some
advice.  We've been experiencing unseasonably cold weather here.  I've
already got frost damage to some of my citrus and other plants in the
yard because by the time the weather forecast came in a couple weeks
ago, it was too late to go to any nursery and get cloths or whatever it
is I'm supposed to do.  I'm a native Southern Californian and I've
never had to deal with preparing for frost damage.

Given that some of my plants have already been damaged, what the best
approach for further forecasts of frost?  Should I be cutting off the
old frost burn or leaving it in place?  Should I be using paper, cloth
or plastic to cover my plants?  What's the best way to prepare?  Please
excuse the ignorant questions but you wouldn't expect a sheikh to know
about ice skating, would you?

Spidra Webster
http://www.spidra.com
Berkeley, CA