[NAFEX] Aronia x Sorbus ; Sorbus domestica

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Sat Jan 6 09:27:01 EST 2007

Hallo Lon,
people who are interested in S. domestica are very rare...
People who have such a nice homepage and experience like you are
extremely rare!!!
Regards also from Clive Simms from England!

Yes the astringency is lost at a special time by it selves. Anyhow this
astringency is also necessary and positive for the apple-wine
production. The fruits are used also more and more in the fine cuisine
cooking. Even as dessert and ice cream. The tree is very useful for
landscaping and environmental purposes.
The wood is really nice and very, very high priced because it is very
much used in music-instrument, expensive furniture and e.g. ruler
production; because the wood is not shrinking and expanding like other
wood! I try to send you an interesting photo directly to your e-mail
address.

The grafting is not secret at all, but I think in many countries this
Sorbus domestica is not known and people do not have any experience.
The rootstock can be Crataegus monog. or Sorbus domestica! Never try S.
aucuparia. But if you see my photo, you will understand, why I do never
recommend Crataegus... (1 m diameter timber-log)!
On S.domestica rootstock I graft usually in winter-days with heat but I
tried it also once with a 1,5 m high growing rootstock outside in early
spring with okulation and the new branch was growing additional 1 m the
same year. I may answer you more detailed  directly. E.g. walnut
grafting is much less successful.

Only one nursery in Germany is selling two different varieties. I
collected some more selections. In future we should select also
different taste/astringency, different time of harvesting and different
growth of tree. This will be not too difficult, because the trees are
varying very much.  Some fruits  are like peas  and some like  little
pears or apples.  We can give you  - as Clive promised to you - any
scions (also other trees) and if you need, I could give you also very
small one year old bare root grafts. From most selections. If you need
special varieties I could graft them additionally this season for you.

ciao
hans