[NAFEX] Ribes aureum selections

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Jan 3 19:08:07 EST 2007

> I have seen Ribes aureum growing in the woods. I ran across two named selections of this species called Gwens golden currant and Idaho golden currant. The wild ones I have seen are orange-fruited. These selections are dark blue.

I don't know anything about these cultivars, but I have seen that Ribes
odoratum is sometimes considered to be just a variety of Ribes aureum.
The common named selection of this plant is the 'Crandall' cultivar.
I've seen it called a clove currant, buffalo currant, golden currant,
Missouri currant, and just Crandall black currant.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
I had a lovely evening. Unfortunately, this wasn't it. - Groucho Marx