[NAFEX] Nebraska Aronia

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Jan 2 19:42:54 EST 2007

I have Aronia and have eaten them fresh.  The ones I've eaten were
sweet, but with a touch of astringency.   Not enough to be a problem,
but enough that after a while you don't feel that much like eating more
of them.  They do get high sugar.  I've tested them at over 24 Brix in
late August.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:29 PM, William C. Garthright wrote:

> Here's the U of NE publication:
> http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?
> publicationId=174

Thanks for the link, Lon. I wonder why that isn't listed in their
publications list?  Hmm,... well, I guess it does come up in a search of
the site (http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/index.jsp), it's
just not listed in the "Fruits" section of "Lawn & Garden." Maybe I've
been looking in the wrong place when browsing their publications.

Note that it describes the berries as having a "dry and sour flavor,"
and says nothing about eating them fresh. By this, it doesn't seem to be
anything I'd want to plant.

Not one of the five links at the bottom of the publication seems to be
good, either.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)