[NAFEX] More on Aronia

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Jan 2 16:59:08 EST 2007

I have some limited experience with small Aronia melanocarpa plants in a
restoration planting here. Some on droughty sand which may have been
subsoil 20 or 30 years ago, don't seem happy. Some a few feet away on
original Vineland fine sandy loam topsoil with a reasonable amount of
organic material and a respectable amount of soil moisture most of the
year, nearer the west edge of a woods, do quite well.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario
Niagara Peninsula
zone 7a

Jim Fruth in Minnesota wrote:
> Bill,
>     I, going to have to side with the folks who say that Aronia will grow
> well anywhere.  I have two plantings one in sand @ pH 6.5 and another in
> black dirt @ pH 7.3.  Both have proven to be drought tolerant.  One gets
> full sun - the other gets morning sun.  BTW, I got my first 8 plants from
> Hartmann Plant Company.

Bill in Nebraska wrote