[NAFEX] Info on Aronia production

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Jan 2 16:35:15 EST 2007

Another interesting Washington State University paper is Aronia berries:
What's their potential?  (see
http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/aronia01.htm)
------------
Also, a newsletter of Oregon State University's North Williamette
Research and Education Center reported:
*	Cultivar evaluation: Evaluated Aronia melanocarpa ( 'Albigowa',
'Darbrowice', 'Egerta', 'Kutno', 'Nero', and 'Nowa Wies') planted in
1997.  Yield in 1999 ranged from 4.4 to 12.4 kg/plant with 'Nero' having
highest yield.  Plants were pruned for the first time in winter 2000/01.
In 2001, 'Nero' produced the highest yield (24.1 kg/plant ) and 'Egerta'
the lowest (13.1 kg/plant ).  Berries were 2.0 to 2.8 g. Strik, Finn,
and Wrolstad.  200_.  Performance of Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) in
Oregon, USA. Acta Hort. (in press).  [The abstract for this Acta Horta
article is at
http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=626_61.]
An interesting slide from a SARE presentation is at
http://sare2006.org/documents/presentations/posters/Poster_Secher02.pdf
.
Also see the section on Aronia, Chokeberry in the Purdue document at
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/pdf/v4-324.pdf .