[NAFEX] Honeycrisp

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Jan 1 14:34:24 EST 2007

Honeycrisp have actually been around for about 10 years now, but have only
reached popularity in the past 3 to 4 years in northern Illinois.  Here at
Royal Oak Farm we have been taking our Red Delicious and replacing with
Honeycrips and have over 1,000 trees that are at 3rd and 4th leaf.  We have
never been able to meet the demand for them and don't charge as much as most
places.  This past season, other growers were asking around $35 - $37 per
bushel wholesale.  I had customers tell me they paid as high as $120 per
bushel retail!  I can't justify that kind of price for a Honeycrisp.  Our
Jonagored (Stark Bros. Jonagold) and our Senshu (Toko & Fuji cultivar) have
been blind taste tested with honeycrisp and folks could not tell which one
was honeycrisp!  We have been charging around $75 per bushel for our
honeycrisp and will probably stay in that range this 2007 season.  This
coming spring we have another 500 honeycrisp planned for planting.  We'll
keep planting more trees to keep up with demand instead of raising prices to
a ridicules level!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com