[NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

Geoffrey Tolle Gtolle0709 at wowway.com
Mon Feb 26 22:47:18 EST 2007

Folks,

     I knew that I'd forgotten one - Ensete. The Morgan & Thompson
catalog list them as a type of banana but I believe that is appearence
only, not genetics. I know that they are grown in the mountains in
Ethiopia and I think my contact (now long gone) said that they sometimes
got snow in those mountains but I'd be curious about both hardiness and
day sensitive. It would be interesting to grow out seedlings and try
selecting for hardiness if they are borderline. By the way, one doesn't
eat the fruit of ensete. One eats the corm which is usually ground into
a flour.

Geoffrey