[NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

V. Michael Bove Jr. vmb at teakettlefarm.com
Mon Feb 26 17:24:45 EST 2007

In zone 6 (RI/MA border) we get 20+ pounds of these things a year
from a 10-year-old tree.  And use only a few of them.

The fruit takes some getting used to.  The juice is so bitter that
you need to dilute it a lot in order to make it usable at all.  That
said, we've made whiskey sours and chiffon pies with them, and a
small amount of the juice (say a half-dozen drops) improves the taste
of a pitcher of iced tea.

By the way, the thorns are murderous.  Even with elbow-length heavy
leather gloves and a full-face guard, pruning is not much fun.

--Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm