[NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

BekeeprTop at aol.com BekeeprTop at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 17:18:53 EST 2007

Geoffrey,
First of all, you're missing PawPaw, which is a tropical plant in every
respect.  Except it is rock hardy and matures its mango-like fruits in all sorts of
zone 5 climates.  Why not grow it, that really does grow tropical fruits in
z5?

The NAFEX person to ask about bamboo is Rick Valley of Oregon.

I've seen a banana growing in Arlington, MA, contact me if you want the
grower's phone # or email.

I believe the owner of Oregon Exotics told me Ponicirus trifoliata is the
ONLY citrus of any description that is truly deciduous -meaning its smart enough
to drop its leaves when fall comes - can anyone contradict that?  Grapefruit
are 69 cents this week at my grocery store.  The best houseplant I ever had was
a calamondin orange, I bartered for it when it was 10 yrs old, and then I
owned it for another approx. 15 years before it died.  It required 2 qts of water
every day or a gallon every day.   It had a windowsill of its own with best
sun exposure but bloomed and bore its heart out, and I sometimes feel like
getting another.   It was far better than any lemon for flavoring, like as a
topping on broccoli.

Let us know what you find out about bamboo and fruits from banana and palm
Charlie Paradise