[NAFEX] Purple or black tomatoes (slightly off topic)

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Feb 20 10:29:26 EST 2007

Donna, thanks so much for your kind offer.  If you have some black or
purple tomato seed that you no longer want, I'd be happy to take it.  It
doesn't have to have the greatest germination rate; all I need is a few
plants of each.   My address is: Sam Brungardt, 739 Como Ave., Saint
Paul, MN 55103-1402.  Is there any type of flour or vegetable that you'd
like to try?  Perhaps I have some seed that you could use. -- Sam

I've read that Cherokee Purple cracks very badly when soil moisture is
inconsistent and this can lead to a lot of on-plant loss as well as poor
storability.  Many people have said that Black Krim (Crimea) is a good
cultivar.

At any rate, for me it may be getting past the color barrier; I have yet
to see a purple or black tomato that I thought was pretty.  However,
I've heard that black or purple tomatoes are particularly flavorful in
more southerly areas, where warm temperatures encourage some of the more
unusual flavor components to develop.

Thanks again for your offer, Donna.  I appreciate it. -- Sam