[NAFEX] Recommend Summer Apples, please

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Sun Feb 18 18:11:04 EST 2007

A 07:27 07.02.18 -0600, vous avez écrit :
>    I need to plant some Zone 3 summer apples, apples that should ripen in
>August.  I'd be grateful to anyone who'd recommend their most delicious
>choices.  Thanks.

Jim,
In Quebec, zone 4, I like:
by mid-august,
Yellow Transparent - the first one to ripen, very productive although
tendency to be biennal, no scab
Red Astrachan - a few days later, better quality, a bit of scab
In the prairies, Norland is a popular early apple. However, it doesn't
perform well in my orchard.

And, about 10 days later, by end of august:
Redfree and William's Pride, both scab resistant and good quality (for the
season). Redfree has less acidity, William's Pride is more zippy. I am
quite satisfied with both.

Claude