[NAFEX] Saijo persimmon hardiness

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Fri Feb 16 07:05:31 EST 2007

When I was a little boy growing up in a mediterranean region, I fell in
love with a specific type of persimmon. I remember it being the sweetest
and the best flavored among all oriental persimmon. It was smaller than
average kaki, and long shape. I recently found out what variety it was,
it is the Saijo variety. Reese orchard's grows this variety commercially,
I have ordered some fresh fruit of saijo last fall, it was great.I don't
want to wait for a graft to grow and bear, can't wait for the fruits that
long.  I'll probably be ordering a tree from somewhere, perhaps edible
landscaping.Does anyone grow this variety in zone 6? How successful does
it grow? Is it a dwarf tree or does it become large? Bass SamaanZone 6,
Bethlehem, pa