[NAFEX] cat predation

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Thu Feb 15 11:21:30 EST 2007

Hallo Rivka,

let me add the following:
The 500 years ago ecosystem, we could never compare with the complete
changed ecosystem now-a-days!
I think also your American cities are usually surrounded by artificial
agriculture and everyone knows the results of it.
In Germany they say Coyotes at USA have a positive influence to
bird-populations, because coyotes "control" sometimes cat-populations.

*Wisconsin Voters Back Plan to Hunt Cats **     *               February
15, 2007
"Estimates of the number of songbirds killed each year by feral cats in
Wisconsin alone range from 8 million to 217 million,
though the number is actually believed to be around 39 million, said
Steven Oestreicher, the chairman of the congress."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=662272&page=1

    Number of unowned free-roaming cats in a college community in the
    southern United States and characteristics of community residents
    who feed them.

Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary
Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA.

"The free-roaming cat population was estimated to represent
approximately 44% of the population of cats in the county. CONCLUSIONS
AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Results suggest that unowned free-roaming cats
may represent a substantial portion of the total cat population in a
region. Public policies and education programs aimed at reducing cat
overpopulation should include provisions for neutering unowned
free-roaming cats, and efforts should target the general public, not
only pet owners, because not all households that feed unowned
free-roaming cats own pets."

"But it has been estimated there are well over 100 million owned and
feral cats in the USA able to prey on wildlife, which translates to a
substantial number of potential kills." In Germany they estimate 12 to
15 birds/year per cat.

ciao Hans