[NAFEX] cat predation

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Wed Feb 14 23:00:30 EST 2007

In fact, that article supports the statement "They don't do much to
the birds, the birds are too smart.  All they get are babies that
fall out of nests. "  It says "Birds that nest of feed on the ground,
such as California Quail, are the most susceptible to cat predation,
as are nestlings and fledglings of many other species".  And despite
the title being about birds, most of the examples given are of mammal
kills.

Sure, cats prey on birds.  Some more than others.   (My boy never
killed a bird.  My girl still takes a couple each year, despite my
removing hazardous attractors, such as low bird feeders.)  As Joan
says, every locale has its own problems, ecological and otherwise.
In my area, the only birds I worry about are the flickers, because
they feed on the ground and we don't have many of them.  The other
local ground-feeders are very common, and their population is limited
by a shortage of good nesting sites, not by adult mortality.  My
neighborhood still has an assortment of wild predators, too.  I've
seen foxes (red and gray), coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and several
species of hawks. I've heard a few species of owls, and neighbors
photographed a fisher.

Personally, I've uneasy with all the wild predators around, and
fondly remember the pre-leash-law days when the wildlife was much
less diverse, and we didn't worry that a coyote might eat a small child.

Ginda