[NAFEX] Wrapping trees for protection

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Feb 13 23:32:49 EST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 8:32 PM, BRosholdt wrote:
> Barb here in Zone 7a(?), central Virginia  (couldn't prove global
> warming at my orchard - we just had two weeks with temperatures
> dipping to the single digits more than twice, and maybe more to
> come - all with no snow cover whatsoever!)
>
> The real nuisance in my orchard is the Japanese Beetle. . . .

Have you tried milky spore?  Or hormone traps?

I put down milky spore when I moved in.  Most of my neighbors treat
their lawns for "grubs" with one poison or another.  The result is a
very manageable number of japanese beetles that don't do much damage.

Years ago my father tried a trap.  The downside is that you attract
beetles from all around (you really want to talk your neighbor into
doing this) but he bagged pounds and pounds of beetles with little
effort.

Ginda