[NAFEX] P.S. to adding organic matter

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Tue Feb 13 14:54:32 EST 2007

Hallo Mark,

I think without testing, you will not find the proper answer.
"Some" bread (cut or broken into prices)  and  some other salt
containing food you may  add,
if you have sufficient vegetables (before use, let them dry a little)
AND some additional e.g. saw dust.
Shreddering gardenwaste and composting are a new fashion for most
gardens at Germany.
Maybe almost 100% of garden owners are composting in Germany.
Not to be only "good to the nature", but many do it only to save money
(reducing waste fees).
I guess 95% are using a pile or an open composter standing at the ground.
Only a minority is using drum-composter (often quite small and expensive
if new, but fast and not bad, as Donna confirms).
"Closed composters" (no mice may enter) are propagated to avoid too much
smelling for the neighbors.
They are also propagated for composting more food-waste (salt and
protein contain) at avoid too much smell,
but sometimes the waste is rotting more due to less air circulation.
In Germany the "animal-problem" due to the many composting piles is not
present, even we are an overcrowded nation,
with an average of 236 citizens/Km². But I do not want to compare it
with your unbelievable average of 32 citizens/km²only.
America may differ in details very much, because of different animals
and so on...

Germans are loving beautiful chain-link-fences. We use it everywhere, to
protect us from everyone, but I guess
coons doesn't know it! Anyhow it is keeping my dogs away from my
neighbors horses and vice versa.

ciao
hans