[NAFEX] when to prune grapes

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Feb 11 14:36:17 EST 2007

I basically know nothing about grapes; but the farmers here in the Niagara
Peninsula (near the northern limit of commercial peach growing) seem to
start pruning grapes about mid-January, about when woody plants hit
maximum cold-hardiness - I speculate there may be a connection with
*full* dormancy, but maybe it's just recovering after New Year's
celebrations. They seem to like to complete pruning by the time the vines
strt growing, then soon after they are into tying. But a lot of it is
getting the work done when they can.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario