[NAFEX] when to prune grapes

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Feb 11 13:39:39 EST 2007

Bleeding doesn't hurt vines.  It's mostly water that the roots are
pumping up from the ground.  Dr. Mark Kliewer at Davis did an
experiment in which vines were pruned to allow them to bleed, and were
done the usual way.  The bleeding vines produced something like five
gallons of fluid, but had no measurable difference in growth or yield
that season.
That is written up in The Grape Grower, too.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com