[NAFEX] flood-tolerant apple rootstock needed?

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 18:57:40 EST 2007

Funny you should ask.  The owner of the flood-tolerant apple tree decided to learn
more about the licensing option, so I was about to turn this project over to those
who may have already invented this wheel.

I have seen apple trees grow suckers from damaged roots-- for example, large roots
at drip-line too close to soil surface and then scuffed by a mower.  Not as commonly
as with, say, plum, but obviously it's possible.  There are a specialty nursery
propagator & a micropropagator in my neighborhood I was thinking of calling, but
(see above) my work here might be done.

I might still be in charge of planting some M13s close to this tree.  This would
give a fairly fast comparison against this more cultivated rootstock.  Digging the
planting holes should also supply bits of the tree's roots for attempts at
propagating.  Unless, like you say, someone knows why this just won't work...