[NAFEX] Huge order of Walnut trees

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:04:11 EST 2007

>At 11:29 AM 2/5/2007, you wrote:
> >A friend of mine is looking for a nursery that could supply 5,000
> >walnut trees on government contract.  Does anyone know  any place
> >that could handle such a  quantity?

Rob,
If this person is in GA, I know of a person in AL who's been
searching for and collecting 'timber-type' black walnuts across the
Southeast - mostly in east-central AL & MS -  for the past 25 years
or more; he has grafted specimens and selected seedlings from those
selections growing in an ongoing progeny test orchard.  He's in his
80s, and I think he's recently sold or leased the orchard to someone
who's going to carry his work forward, but they might be willing/able
to sell seednuts for direct-seeding or perhaps grow seedlings on contract.
These would be superior southern black walnut genetics - if that's
what your friend is looking for.
Heck, they might be looking for someone to partner with them, and
5000 seedlings would be a pretty nice number for a progeny test....

Lucky