[NAFEX] growing fruit trees close to the ground

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sun Dec 30 19:45:05 EST 2007

The key with peaches in cold temps is to keep the buds from freezing.  There
are some good charts and articles on the subject after last spring's Midwest
late freeze found at
http://www.hrt.msu.edu/faculty/Langg/Fruit_Bud_Hardiness.html.  There are
links to articles and data that cover apples, peaches, grapes and other
fruit.  I have found the chart at
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/crtmptxt.htm most useful in monitoring our
own temperatures through last winter and spring.  We found that the PF 24
Flamin' Fury buds withstood temps at to below -16 while all other buds froze
and produced no fruit.  Hope this helps someone.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com