[NAFEX] prunus genetics

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:19:59 EST 2007

I was having a discussion of the genetic background or ancestry of some
popular plum varieties with a member and he surprised me with the info that
Shiro and Methely are not purely salicina.  I spent several minutes on-line
trying to find a site with further information and the quest was fruitless
(no pun...).

He suggests that pure Japanese varieties, of which he includes Santa Rosa as
an example, don't tend to set fruit well in the east because of their pure
salicina genes.  I always assumed that Santa Rosa was a shy cropper as
result of our climate because some years with mild winters it sets pretty
well.  I figure it to be a warm weather plum.

I would greatly appreciate any clarification and information sources any of
you can provide including some genetic background on common plum varieties,
especially those usually described as exclusively Japanese.