[NAFEX] was FEDCO now farm&garden

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Dec 27 11:04:40 EST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

> I know many farmers and the lack of family farm vegetable gardens
> becomes obvious if you understand their motives and drives.  Farmers
> are practical, pragmatic people and time is their most precious
> commodity.  If it is more practical and inexpensive to buy vegetables
> and fruit they will.  No good farmer worth his corn would spend $100
> of his time to end up with $25 worth of produce.  The time invested in
> a vegetable garden is much better spent on their cash crop.
>
> Farmers are pragmatic and practical to the bone.  The far greater
> percentages of farmers are not hippies, tree huggers, or eco-zeolots
> they are simply small business men who work with agriculture.  The law
> of economics and pragmatism are their model.  Do not look for veggie
> gardens but “efficiencies” on a well operated farm.
>
> Sure you will find those willing to spend $100 in time for $25 of
> tangible results but they are not farmers, they are hobbyists’.
>
> Later,
> Tom

Most farmers around here have vegetable gardens, and many of them have
fruit. Yes, these are real farmers, not hobbyists.

For one thing, I strongly suspect they get much more than $25 in
tangible results for $100 in time, because they know what they're
doing. For another, the quality produced in the home garden is often
much greater than that available in the store. For a third, many see no
sense in spending cash out of pocket for what they can easily and
enjoyably do for themselves.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly