[NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 14:01:26 EST 2007

Hello Tom,

I've successfully grafted plums and cherries in the spring after active
growth has begun, when the bark is well into the slip. I've used both the whip &
tongue and bark graft. Wrap the entire graft with Parafilm and if in full sun a
loose wrap of foil to reflect the sun's rays.

A problem with cherries is they break bud in the frig.at temps same as early
spring. Maybe 45 degrees is too warm. Store the scion wood very cold, just
above freezing.

Jerry