[NAFEX] hybridizing persimmons

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 21:44:40 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/12/2007 7:46:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lonrom at hevanet.com writes:

> "Mentoring" usually meant grafting the male parent on the female tree, or
> vice versa.

Hi Lon,

Yes, I've seen that definition more than the following once.  (Method A)

I've also read mentoring is taking dead pollen of the female species and
mixing it with live pollen from the other species then mix and apply both to the
female flower. The dead pollen has chemical or mechanical properties that
tricks the stigma's rejection mechanisms. Thus allowing the approach live sperm to
develop the pollen tube and sperm to pass to the egg.  (Method B)

Who knows maybe he used B on A material!!!

Jerry