[NAFEX] Rhubarb slicer?

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Dec 12 18:37:11 EST 2007

Well, first, get a good knife sharpener!  There are some good, cheap ones.
I don't mean honing tools - I mean things you draw the knife through to
sharpen it.  Cooking with proper tools is a joy.

Gather the rhubard in a bunch before slicing, so each slice goes through
many stalks.  I might start with four long stalks, cut them in half, maybe
stack/gather those, and then cut into chunks (or slice the stack in half
once more and re-stack).

You probably wouldn't want to spend the money on a commercial high capacity
food processor - much too pricey for what you're doing.  A home food
processer would just need to be emptied frequently.

There is a thing called a Salad Shooter, which slices and then 'shoots' the
slices into a bowl.  I haven't used one, but it may be the ticket...

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of William C. Garthright
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:48 AM
To: NAFEX List
Subject: [NAFEX] Rhubarb slicer?

Apologies if this is off-topic, but I cut up a lot of rhubarb to freeze
and give away, and it's quite a bit of work, especially with my dull
knives. Does anyone know of an inexpensive slicer that would work to cut
rhubarb into chunks?

I tried my cheap food processor, and it cut up the rhubarb fine, but
doesn't spit out the slices. So they just go around and around until the
whole thing is mush. Yeah, it's going to be a few months before I need
to worry about this again, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Hmm,... also, could anyone recommend a sharpener for my pruning tools?
I'm both lazy enough and klutzy enough to find sharpening stones rather
useless. And although there's plenty of information about sharpeners on
the Internet, I don't know if any of them would work on pruning equipment.

Thanks much,

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
A discovery is said to be an accident meeting a prepared mind. - Albert
Szent-Gyorgyi

sites.
permission!

No exceptions.