[NAFEX] hybrid persimmons

Alan . yarrylo at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:32:54 EST 2007

Jerry,

Another persimmon variety that has been proposed as a possible virginiana/
kaki hybrid is Geneva Long, arising from the hybridizing efforts of
Professor Slate at Geneva, NY.  While the cold-hardiness and  size of this
persimmon is typical for an American , the oblong shape of the fruit is
somewhat unusual. The foliage is characteristic for this cultivar, and the
shape and gloss of the leaves somewhat reminiscent of Asians. The seeds are
also thin and  oblong and resemble kaki seeds. Unlike any of the other wild
or named cultivars of virginiana that I’ve tried,  it, to my taste, lacks
any variation of the characteristic American persimmon flavor, and while
sweet, is comparatively bland like a kaki. Also, green fruit ripens well off
the tree – another quality I believe is seen more often with kaki than
virginiana..  So, whoever is doing the DNA analysis of Keener may be
interested in examining this variety as well.

Alan Stein
Pittsburgh, PA
Zone 6