[NAFEX] MN447

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Mon Dec 10 06:04:37 EST 2007

MN447 is one of my favorite apples--It does not taste particularly 'appley' more of a rich exotic aromatic flavor.  The tree grows easily.  It seems more disease resistant than most.  It is small and unattractive. (My suggestion for the U of MN naming contest was 'ugly duckling'.  You know, a 'swanful' of flavor in every bite.)  447 keeps very well and increases its flavor during cold storage.  The major commercial flaw (and I mean major) of the apple is that it cracks around the stem end if the water supply is uneven.  I've had 3/4 or more of the crop hit this way.  As long as you store the cracked apples dry and unwached after the cracks have 'callused' over they still store pretty well--till spring with shriveling.  If you wash the apples and put them away wet they are more sensitive to rotting at the crack point.

MN 447---go for it.

Steve Herje, USDA zone 3 Lone Rock, WI