[NAFEX] fuyu persimmons

S & E Hills ehills7408 at wowway.com
Sat Dec 8 08:51:16 EST 2007

I'm in 6b and I planted a Ichi Ke Kei Jiro two years ago (this will be its
third winter).   I planted it in my front yard, in a place with pretty
compacted soil and it has to contend with a large silver maple's roots
drawing in as much water as they can.  I do water during the growing season
and it has grown and does appear healthy.  It has not, however, grown as
much as I would like and after the first winter there was a little die back
(tips that were above the tubex growth tube I had it in that winter.  Last
winter there was no die-back at all.  I've not yet had any flowering so no
fruit.  I will be adding drip irrigation and pulling back the mulch to apply
composted manure this spring, I'm hoping that will encourage more vigorous
growth (though the variety I chose is reportedly a dwarf variety anyway).

Burnt Ridge Nursery (which I can recommend as I've ordered from there every
year for the past 5) offers a variety they claim is hardy to zone 5 (I think
it was there), though I got mine from Edible Landscaping.  I believe that
England's Nursery also offered a variety they claimed was hardy as well.

Scott Hills

6b Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

  _____