[NAFEX] Che/melon berry and question

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 13:36:48 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/27/2007 9:16:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
swim_at_svc at yahoo.com writes:

> Please forgive if the following not appropriate.
>
> Last year I lost two small che, attributable to the extremely unusual
> winter. I've repurchased, but am interested from hearing if anybody is growing this
> in zone 5.  I am also intersted in obtaining seed for trials from any zone 5
> trees that might be out there, in hopes of getting something more hardy.

Hello John,

This subject is very appropriate for this net.

Growing here zone 5b central West Indiana is one Chinese melon berry, Che
also spelled Chi. It fruits almost every year and as I don't have a male it is
small and seedless. Fruits are bright red when ripe, and taste like mulberry and
melon. Haven't seen a problem with winter damage here.

Jerry