[NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets

hans brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Sun Aug 19 20:51:14 EDT 2007

Hallo Tanis,
exactly my experience at Germany too!
Probably no one will believe it, but it is also scientifically proved -
Hornets are even more tame(I mean not aggressive) than other wesps.
Even right in front her nest they never bite you, if you move not
hectically.
Bumble bees I was catching with my hands many, many  times - as I was a
child - till one big and very nice one bite me inside my carefully
closed hand.
Anyhow there are also reasons to remove some wasp nests... small
children, allergy, pets and so on. Beekeepers used at Germany e.g
laughing gas tablets to kill sick bee colonies.
At night it is sometimes very easy to catch a free hanging nest right
into a plastic bag... and a friendly beekeeper is also able to replace
the complete nest somewhere else. In any case, after replacing (more
than 1 km away!) the whole nest at night,  I was running quite quickly...
I will not hide the fact, I kept my own bees many years ago...and I
never ever used gloves to have more feeling and to be more careful and cool.
Some beekeepers use gloves only because of the very sticky propolis on
their fingers.
Professional beekeepers do not love wesps and hornets because they like
to feed their larvaes(babies) with bees and other insects...
But this makes them also very useful for fruit growers to control pests
(before plums are ripe...).

ciao
hans