[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 55, Issue 14

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:04:30 EDT 2007

At 09:25 AM 8/8/2007, you wrote:
>What about the other way around? Has anyone successfully grafted another
>cherry onto Bali/Evans? Since it root-sprouts so readily it is an obvious
>candidate and would presumably lead to dwarfing if it is graft compatible
>at all.

Using a rampantly-suckering plant as a rootstock?
Well, following my experiences grafting various European & Japanese
hybrid plums onto native P.angustifolia(Chickasaw plum) suckers, I
don't know that I'd recommend it - I've got - or would have, if I
didn't keep them mowed - a veritable forest of P.angustifolia suckers
popping up for 25 ft in all directions away from the originals, and,
as I've largely abandoned all stonefruits except for Chickasaw plum
as a total waste of time and space, the 'improved' varieties that I
originally grafted onto the Chickasaws are either long-since dead, or
largely overwhelmed by shoots from the rootstock.

Lucky