[NAFEX] Apple Variieties for Organic Commercial Orchard

Clifford Cain cc_syorks at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 16:30:37 EDT 2007

Hello Ed
I do not know where you are, I am in the UK and have been looking for apples for a similar brief, for a traditional orchard (trees on M25 rootstocks, 50ft spacings - 12 years to first fruit!).
The ones I have short listed have plant breeders rights against them.  However ones that appears from North America ex Purdue are Co-op 25/"Scarlet O'Hara" and Prima.  Descriptions can be found at http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/coop25.html
Apples that seem to do well in Central Europe include Otava and Pinova.
Would be interesting to see what you go for
Regards

Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK