[NAFEX] Subject: Re: Paw Paw Propagation from seed

Toni Pralle toni.pralle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:38:53 EDT 2007

>> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw Propagation from seed

I purchased some stratified Paw Paw seed from a nafex member. I've put them
in deep pots to accomodate the expected deep tap root. I have about an inch
of mulch on top of the seed. What would be an expected timeline for
germination and emergence of shoots? I'm told that I might not see any
shoots until next spring.>>

I got some paw paw seeds last year (or the year before??) from a member in
Arizona. I kept the seeds in the refrigerator over winter and planted them
in pots in the spring.  It took them forever to sprout but they finally all
did. I'm in Iowa. I've heard that I should have gotten seeds from a more
local place but I'm playing with these anyway. I kept them in the house over
winter. They dropped all their leaves but now are sprouting all new ones
about on the same schedule as my outside trees. I will keep them in the
house yet next winter. I'm not sure what I will do this summer. I don't want
them to get in the sun and I don't want to forget to water them so the house
seems safest. My experience with the seeds I have is that they are following
the natural rythum of my local out door trees.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/