[NAFEX] Apple Pressing and Botulism
jfruth at uslink.net
Fri Oct 27 09:55:09 EDT 2006
I would not agree with Claude about apple worms being "essentially
apples" or quality improvement because of scab, but to each his own. Claude
does mention something very worth saying more about: the need to be careful
about apples that have fallen on the ground. Clostridium botulinus, the
bacterium that causes Botulism Poisoning naturally occurs in many/most
soils. That's why we wash carrots and rutabegas and lettuce and vegetables
whose edible parts grow in or near the ground. C. botulinus is so
widespread in our environment that traces of it can even be found in honey,
Nature's purest natural food. So, if you'd rather not waste those apples
that have fallen on the ground, be sure to sanitize them before tossing them
in the hopper and pasteurize your cider to, at least, 165º F (180º is
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]
I don't think you should bother about worms and scab...
Scab will only improve the quality of your juice by concentrating sugars
acids and flavours (by removing water).
Worms will stay with the pomace - they only have eaten apple anyway, so
they are essentially apples...
The only thing I remove is when an apple is really rotten, or if it has
fallen on the ground, then you need to be more careful.
More information about the nafex