[NAFEX] Apples on Mini-Dwarf Interstems

Ed Fackler efackler at woh.rr.com
Thu Mar 23 12:15:40 EST 2006

I used various interstems in S. Indiana for 15 or 20 years including P22.
As an interstem it causes the base stock to sucker like crazy and is not
free standing (unless you prune trees the way Gene does).

My choice for a "runt" tree which is freestanding is M27.  However this one,
like P22 will cause the base stock to sucker excessively as will all super
dwarfing stocks (Bud 491 included).

Hope this helps.

ed, So. Ohio, spring is tryin' to arrive