[NAFEX] che or jujube in Zone 5?

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Sat Mar 18 15:30:52 EST 2006

I'm not in the midwest but am in Zone 5. In my experience, the
problems with those two fruits are some winterkill and just barely,
or not enough, time to ripen the fruits. A bit of winterkill is not a
problem because both trees will flower on new growth. My outdoor
jujube died back below the graft but every year the seedling
rootstock bears a few fruits some of which ripen (but don't taste
very good).

I grow che in a pot and am able to ripen quite a large amount of
fruit, letting them finish off in the greenhouse. There are no
cultivars of che and repeated selection from among a large number of
seedlings might be able to result in earlier ripening clones. For
fun, I'm going to graft che onto a stem of an osage orange tree
growing outdoors. The graft is possible and perhaps the stem will
grow and bear fruit.

(My book, Uncommon Fruits...) has a chapter on each of these fruits.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden