[NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Wed Mar 15 23:17:01 EST 2006

Calling Stark's customer service can get you the rootstock info, but I had a blah
experience last year with Stark's unrelated to rootstock: they shipped my trees
with the trees and small lump of damp shredded newspaper on the TOPS not roots. So
I had them ship me replacement trees because 2 of the ones I got looked iffy after
their long UPS ride in May. Again, the same "wrapping" technique. I called again to
encourage better communication between the right and left hands, nicely. When I
called to give them a headsup, I was informed that this was standard practice by
the shipping dept. As long as something moist was somewhere in the plastic bag, the
roots were okay, they said. I disagree on the principle and practice, but most of
the trees survived, so maybe 100 years of experience shows me one better? I may
order from them again, I may not. I thought I'd check them out after their
restructuring. I ordered from the home sales dept, not commercial sales, which the
rep swore was more concerned with shipping and handling. I believe her or they
wouldn't have any business. But their customer service was excellent and patient.
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Wed Mar 15 20:57 , sherwindu <sherwindu at comcast.net> sent: