[NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Mar 14 13:16:40 EST 2006

Sherwin,
I'm not in a position to comment on stonefruit rootstocks, but with
pomefruits, I've come to the conclusion that *I* will select
rootstock for its suitability to my soil and location, rather than
any illusion of 'size control'.  After trying various dwarfing and
combo rootstocks, I've settled on good old M7 as the best choice for
apples in my orchard.
Ultimately YOU are in control of how big your tree becomes,
regardless of rootstock choice, but if the rootstock you choose for
dwarfing characteristics won't anchor, or cannot tolerate your soil
or moisture conditions, it's a moot point.
Judicious pruning - and particularly summer pruning - will go a long
way toward limiting the size and vigor of growth of a tree.

Have a look at the website below:
Dwarf Tree?  But it's so BIG!
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/all_ed/teds_head06_dwarf.html

Lucky Pittman