[NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn

George Brinson george.brinson at nf.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 4 15:33:08 EST 2006

I have tried jelly and juice from this fruit and it is excellent. I have some materials growing as a trial, presently and this past summer a two-year plant produced fruit. From seed I think it can be 5-7 years.

It has become a multi-million dollar industry in Germany and the Baltic states. There have been varieties developed for juice, oil content and the medicinal industry.  The German varieties are mainly oil varieties and are very "greasy" to the taste, and mostly bitter  as are the medicinal bred materials. The Russian bred materials are larger, easy to harvest berries and very sweet as compared to the "oil" varieties.

There is a lot of work being done in Canada on this crop at present on a wide range of European materials

George Brinson
Carmanville
Newfoundland
Canada