[NAFEX] currant joke

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Jul 18 19:08:26 EDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Richard MURPHY wrote:
> . . .
> Holy Smokes, people !!  WOW !!  My wife and I sampled some at the
> same time at a friend's house.
> We both spit the berries out, and exclaimed how they smelled /
> tasted like Cat Tinkle  !!
> Then I asked my friend, "Hey Bob; you eat these?"
> Bob says, "No way man; they taste like pee"
>
> What am I missing, guys??
> Since you all seem to enjoy them so much, I know I'm doing it
> wrong, or maybe Bob's berries were not the right Cultivar, etc etc.
> I would like to try some in my garden. Are they OK fresh ??
>
> Murph

I've tasted two kinds of fresh black currant, Consort and Titania.
Consort has much more of the skanky flavor you describe, although I
don't think I would have described it as cat pee.  Titania wasn't bad
fresh, out of hand, although I only tasted one, slightly over-ripe
berry.  I've also had Consort cooked - just a handful of currants
crushed with some sugar and put in the microwave for about a minute.
It was delicious.  So I'd say they are probably all better cooked,
but osme are okay for eating fresh, too.

Ginda