[NAFEX] blackberries

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Jul 17 16:56:44 EDT 2006

About a small market crop?  I know my coop grocery buys from growers with
that quantity.  Here most markets that will buy from smaller growers only
buy organic. He could also perhaps sell, directly or through a vendor, at a
farmer's market.
Freezing and pie-making is a great suggestion.  The frozen berries also make
great smoothies, and blackberry juice blends well with other juices, like
apple.

Stephen Sadler

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of list at ginda.us
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 12:59 PM
To: NAFEX
Subject: [NAFEX] blackberries

Sort of a followup to my raspberry note:

A friend with more land and more sun than I grows blackberries.  He
is searching for what to do with his crop.  He says that he can
easily harvest between 15 and 20 gallons of berries, which is well
more than he can eat.  Last year he made jam and gave it away to
people at the office, but he didn't use it up, and still has a lot of
last year's jam.  He made sherbet, and still has some of that left
over.  He makes wine, and that might be what happens to this year's
crop, but he is looking for other suggestions.  (I suggested freezing
them and using frozen berries to make pie - a large pie can swallow
1/2 gallon of fruit and be gone in a couple of days in my household.)

Other suggestions would be welcome.

Ginda

p.s.  I know that I plan to visit him during his blackberry season.  :)