[NAFEX] Golden Berry (aka. Cape Gooseberry)

Nate nrhora at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 12:22:12 EDT 2006

A little off topic, but as mentioned in Flowering Plants of this World
(V.H. Heywood) apparently there is a relation between ground
cherries/raisan tomatoes in that they have similar plant defenses
which allow them to deter pests/bugs from eating into their leaves.

Taken from Chapter 7 pg. 132 para. 5

[plant structural defenses on stems/leaves can deter, injure, or kill
the grazer. Some defensive compounds are produced internally but are
released onto the plant's surface; for example, resins, lignins,
silica, and wax cover the epidermis of terrestrial plants and alter
the texture of the plant tissue to make its use difficult.]

So one can gather that certain herbivores should have a picnic
munching down on those ground cherries/tomatoes