[NAFEX] Golden Berry (aka. Cape Gooseberry)

Nate nrhora at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:55:13 EDT 2006

I've just recently accquirted some Golden Berry jam from my local
organics grocery store, and was stunned with the sweetness/tartiness
that it provided.

Considering how costly it was (approx. $3.70/500ml jar), I wanted to
find out if anybody else has had experience actually growing it in a
temperate climate. Can it survive our harsh winters  here? What are
the ideal conditions to plant seeds?

As it is not native to my local zone (7A), I don't really have that
much information at hand. The only tidbit of info. I've been able to
gather so far is that in New Zealand it is said "the housewife is
sometimes embarrassed by the quantity of berries in the garden" which
doesn't really say too much.

TIA