[NAFEX] Saskatoons-disappointing

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 12:39:34 EDT 2006

Matt,
We also use most of our saskatoons (juneberries or 'sarvis' here) in muffins
and pancakes.  Also on top of vanilla ice cream.

The almond flavor does come out in cooking, and is sometimes detectable in
the fresh fruit as Naomi noted.  This flavor is a negative for my wife.

Agreed that the flavor varies on the tree, but I'd argue that's true of most
other fruits when tasting the range of un-, under-, ripe and over ripe to
dried to fermented.
One of the things that makes some saskatoons such a good landscape tree is
that they bloom over an extended period, hence the fruit ripening is also
stretched out.
But we also notice a lot of variation in fruit quality among different
cultivars grown here in East TN; from very good to very bland.

Out to pick mulberries, raspberries, gooseberries and currants, which also
vary a lot depending on ripeness.
Richard Moyer
East TN