[NAFEX] Heritage Raspberries in GA

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:02:06 EST 2006

*Melinda,*
*Chris gave some good info and links; the NC State HIL series on raspberries
and blackberries have been useful for us.*
**
*My father in Augusta had a similar problem to yours: he bought so-called
Heritage raspberries from a Georgia nursery, they thrived but never bloomed
in Augusta, probably due to the heat.  We dug them all out and I traded them
here for other plants.  Once they bloomed here in mountains, they turned out
to be wineberries, and I had egg on my face.  I learned the hard way what
Jesus said: By their fruits you will know them. One family I shared the
plants with has adapted by making wineberry instead of raspberry jam as
planned.  I didn't have a Heritage plant then to compare, but wineberries
have many more prominent orange hairs on the stems, you could do a Google
image search and see wineberry stems.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/pwc/rubus-art.html  This link was posted by our
own Joseph Postman, and is a watercolor of wineberry over 100 yrs old, with
good detail of the larger, straight thorns and the many smaller hairs.*
**
*We bought Heritage from another nursery, and they are yielding for my
father very well, with mulch and adequate water in a raised bed, as Chris
recommends.  *
**
*J.C. Raulston, a generous plantsman from NC, once wrote he may have killed
more plants than anyone alive, as he learned what would work in your
conditions.  So don't be afraid to ask, or to get rid of what doesn't work.*
**
*Richard Moyer*
*East Tennessee, 1800', Zone 6*
**