[NAFEX] fish emulsions vs deer

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Apr 28 16:10:52 EDT 2006

I had no success whatsoever with fish emulsion.  Neither I, nor apparently
the deer, were aware it was supposed to be a deer-terrent.  Having a dog
certainly worked as long as the dog was outside.  But dogs are social
animals, and want to be inside.  I do recall there was much less deer
activity with the dog-scent about the yard.  The fence, which did work, was
visible.  It wasn't built to the expensive height the books say is necessary
keep the deer from jumping over, but was close, and was a great
inconvenience to them.  I also planted clover between the woods and the
garden, and the deer filled up on that, happily.  Sometimes when I was in
the garden - or not - I would leave the gate open, and deer would wander
cautiously in.  We would watch each other, only a few feet apart.  They did
precious little damage to the garden, I assume because they filled up on the
clover.  I still like the approach of making the food you want to eat more
difficult for the pest animals, while giving them something easy to eat -
and cheap - nearby.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate