[NAFEX] Plum Graft

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sun Apr 23 20:33:29 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,
If I were you, I would plant additional rootstock  around the current single
stemmed plum tree and then graft these plum rootstock to the scion cultivar. This
way even if the tree is over growing its one current rootstck it is supported and
nourished by additional roots. You may end up having to use some 2 x 4 braces for
support of the main trunk/crown, but the additional rootstock should help the
nutritional strangling issue. I did this on a plum that had severe girding a few
years ago. Worked fine.
If someone said this already, forgive the repetition.
Let us know what you end up trying,
Heron Breen
zone 4b, Maine

On Sun Apr 23 12:48 , Hélène Dessureault <interverbis at videotron.ca> sent: