[NAFEX] Veteran Peaches

Richard J.Ossolinski osso at acadia.net
Sun Apr 23 19:01:37 EDT 2006

The '98 edition of the USDA's Handbook of Peach and Nectarine Varieties
(Performance in the Southeastern U.S. and Index of Names) lists Veteran
as requiring 1050 chill hrs., and describes it as, " Good for canning.
Too soft for shipping.  Must be thinned heavily to get size.
Apparently, this name was originally associated with ONT 194049, which
was a sibling of ONT 1940208, the selection predominantly distributed
as Veteran.  Carries genes for pollen sterility and clingstone.  An
important peach for Ontario 50 years ago.
Pedigree: Vaughan x Stark Early Alberta.
Origin: 1928, Horticultural Research Institute of Ontario, Vineland,
Ontario, Canada."

Nothing about hardiness, per se.

Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5